Core Principle: “Being the Best You Can Be”
Our High Performance Service Team holds the swimmer’s best interest at heart, whether their focus is to achieve a personal best or qualify for a national competition.
TEAM MANAGER/HEAD COACH
Nikolay has a powerful background of training, personal achievements and education. He has also been mentored by many of the most successful, well known leaders and athletes who taught him all the basics, techniques and know-how in sports, leadership and business development. This exposure gave him a colossal support and foundation both in swimming and everyday life situations.
- Bachelor’s Degree and over 10 years of extensive study in Psychology, Business Management, International Business and Control of Education
- Russian Junior Nationals Winner
- US and Russian Nationals Qualifier
- US Open Qualifier
- NCAA US Nationals Winner
- ECAC Champion
- Certified Member of the All-America Collegiate Swimming Team
- Over 25 years of competitive swimming experience
- Over 10 years as a Private Technique Coach working with swimmers of every level
- USA Swimming Certified Coach Since 2012
- Served as a Junior and Senior Swimmers’ Coach at Richmond Aquatics Club
- Member of American Swimming Coaches Association
- Selected Metro Zone Team Coach of 2014, 2015 and 2016
- Selected Coach for Metro All Stars Training Camp 2014 under the guidance of Olympic Coach Sergio Lopez Miro and Olympic Swimmer Peter VanderKaay
- Selected Coach for Metro Annual Outreach Swimming Clinic 2014 with Olympic Swimmers Doug Lennox and Brett Fraiser
- Selected Coach for Brackin Elite Training Best Swim Camp 2015 under the guidance of Olympic Coaches Dave Durden and Kim Brackin
- Selected Coach for 4UElite Swimming Clinic with Megan Romano 2018
Achievements and Awards:
- Selected Coach for 2019 USA Swimming Leadership Summit at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, CO
- Metropolitan Swimming’s Must Watch Age Group Coach of the Year for the 2016 – 2017 Season
- Active Member of Metropolitan Swimming Strategic Planning Committiee
- Riverbank Redtails International Invitational Coach Award 2014
- Honorable Mench*ion Leadership Award 2015
- Nikolay prepared numerous athletes who qualified for Sectionals, Senior Mets, Eastern Zones, IM Xtreme Games and Junior Olympics Championships as well as constantly being recognized as Metro Top – 25 fastest swimmers
HEAD LOCATION COACH
Coach Alex Protsenko brings with him over 18 year’s of swimming experience both in and out of the pool. He is a former 3 time Ukrainian National Champion as well as a medalist at the European Championships and he also was a candidate for the Olympic Games Beijing 2008 as a part of Ukrainian National swimming team. He has gone on to build an exemplary reputation as a Coach and Instructor throughout the Metropolitan area.
- B.A., University of Drury – Major: Exercise and Sport Science
- Masters, National Human Academy – Major: Social Management
NCAA DIVISION II SWIMMING NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
- 2010: 4×100 medley relay national champion, 4×200 freestyle relay national champion, 200-yard backstroke second place, 200-yard freestyle second place, 100-yard backstroke fourth place
- 2009: 4×200 freestyle relay national champion, 200-yard backstroke third place, 100-yard backstroke sixth place
- 2008: 100-yard backstroke national champion, 200-yard backstroke second place, 4×100 medley relay national champion, 4×200 freestyle relay second place
INTERNATIONAL SWIMMING CHAMPIONSHIPS
- 2008: Ukraine-Czech Republic-Poland meet: 50-meter backstroke 3rd place place, 100-meter backstroke champion, 200-meter backstroke second place
- 2007: European Championship in France: 4×100 medley relay 2nd place ,Ukraine-Czech Republic-Poland meet: 50-meter backstroke champion, 100-meter backstroke champion, 200-meter backstroke 2nd place, 4×100 medley relay champion
- 2004: Open National Championships of Denmark: 100-meter backstroke champion
SWIMMING NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS OF UKRAINE
- 2010: 100-meter 3rd place, 4×100 medley relay national champion, 4×100 freestyle relay 2nd place.
- 2009: 50-meter backstroke national champion, 100-meter 3rd place, 200-meter backstroke 2nd place, 4×200 freestyle relay national champion, 4×100 freestyle relay second place
- 2008: 50-meter backstroke national champion, 100-meter backstroke national champion, 4×100 medley relay national champion
- 2007: 50-meter backstroke second place, 100-meter backstroke 2nd place.
- 2006: 100-meter backstroke third place, 200-meter backstroke 2nd place, 4×100 medley relay 2nd place
- 2005: 200-meter backstroke 3rd place, 4×50 freestyle relay 3rd place, 4×50 medley relay 3rd place.
SWIMMING CUP CHAMPIONSHIPS OF UKRAINE
- 2006: 100-meter backstroke national champion, 50-meter backstroke 3rd place.
- 2005: 200-meter backstroke second place
NATIONAL COLLEGE CHAMPIONSHIPS OF UKRAINE
- 2006: 50-meter backstroke city champion, 100-backstroke city champion, 200-meter backstroke city champion
- 2005: 12t h Spatrakiade of Kharkov: 50-meter backstroke city champion, 100-backstroke city champion,
- 200-meter backstroke city champion, Universiade of Ukraine: 100-meter backstroke 1st, 200-meter backstroke 3rd
- 2004: 50-meter backstroke city champion, 100-backstroke city champion, 200-meter backstroke city champion
- 2003: 50-meter backstroke city champion, 100-backstroke city champion, 200-meter backstroke city champion
Pavel “Pasha” Buyanov. Coach Pasha brings over six years of successful coaching experience and a
lifetime of swimming achievements to our staff.
Most recently, he has successfully coached numerous swimmers to Metro Junior Olympics,
Sectionals, Futures and Junior Nationals for which he has garnered the Age Group Coach of the
Year award a remarkable 2 years in a row (2018 & 2019).
Among Coach Pasha’s swimming achievements are:
- 3-time NCAA DIII National Champion
- Numerous D3 National Records
- A 4th place finish at the 2008 Russian Olympic Trials
- A previous ranking in the Top 100 swimmers in the World by FINA
- 2008, 2012 US Olympic Trials qualifier
- 2019 FINA Masters World Champion
Coach Pasha will serve primarily as a Head Age Group Coach and Technical expert at our
Raritan Bay location while also applying his knowledge and experience as part of our ongoing
HEAD LOCATION COACH
Merouane is expanding his role in our Freedom family by adding the title of Coach to his current “parent” status. Coach Abbou adds his international experience as a swim coach having coached in Morocco, United Arab Emirates, France and the USA as well as his ability to utilize the newest training techniques and his background in education, applied psychology and performance swimming to our coaching staff. He is a certified USA Swimming Coach – Level 2, ASCA – Level 5, NFHS – Level 2, Certified Interscholastic Coach – Level 2, a US Masters swimming member and is certified by the American Swimming Coaches Association – Level 5.
HEAD AGE GROUP COACH/TECHNICAL EXPERT
Sue Lecarreaux has a long and diverse history in swimming. She grew up in Ft. Lauderdale, FL with the great opportunity to swim under some renowned coaches such as Jack Nelson and Terry Carlisle. Proper technique was always stressed and there was always plenty of high level competition. She attended Florida State University and graduated with a B.S. in education.
But, there was no women’s swim team at that time, so swimming competitively seemed to be over. After teaching for 11 years in public schools and 4 years in private schools and raising four children, she returned to swimming as a Masters swimmer. Over the years she has had 77 US Top Ten swims and 3 World Top Ten swims. In 1999, she began using her teaching abilities and knowledge of swimming technique to teach children and adults to swim. Over the years she has helped many overcome their fear of the water, learn to swim, achieve success in competitive swimming and even trained many tri-athletes to swim with less effort and more speed.
“I love children and love swimming. The art and science of swimming develops the whole child. It builds character, teaches the acceptance of victory and defeat, teaches goal setting, working as a team, personal accountability, and how to make good decisions. I’m so proud and thankful to be coaching at Freedom!”
- Registered USMS Coach 2010-2015
- Member of USMS Swimming 1998-2016
- Registered USA Swimming Coach 2015-2016
- Member American Swim Coach Association 2010-2016
AGE GROUP COACH
Antonio comes to us after having been the Head Swim coach for the NYC Parks – Staten Island Shockwaves for 10 years. Under his leadership, the team was ranked 2nd among all 13 indoor parks and recreation swim teams for 3 years in a row 2015-2018. Coach Antonio was also the Head Coach for Brooklyn College Men’s and women’s swim teams for 3 years. In the CUNYAC Championships, his men finished third, the team’s highest finish in history.
AGE GROUP COACH
Brian began his swimming career with the YMCA Flushing Flyers, qualifying for three State’s teams. He went on to swim for Queensborough community college for two years qualifying for the NJCAA nationals in the 50,100,200 freestyle and the 100 fly in both years for the team. He then continued his academic and athletic career at Brooklyn college. In his first year at Brooklyn College he was a top 5 CUNY swimmer in the 50, 100 free and 100 fly. In his second year, he was a part of 4 school record breaking relays reaching 2 gold and 2 silver medals in his CUNY Championships. After completing his collegiate swimming career, he went on to become an assistant coach at Brooklyn College.
AGE GROUP COACH
As a life-long competitive swimmer, Liz grew up loving the sport. As captain of her college team, she was a part of several successful swimming seasons. Now, as a parent with two swimmers on Freedom Aquatics, she enjoys watching her own children learn and compete.
An educator by day, she has transitioned her love of teaching young children and applied it in the pool as a coach. She has been a coach for five years, and has seen many successful swimmers compete in Metro Swimming at Championship levels. She is a certified USA swimming coach- Level 2 ASCA. She enjoys using her expertise to break down stroke technique for beginning swimmers.
AGE GROUP COACH
An avid swimmer, Sean began swimming competitively as a 16 year old senior in high school. With hard work and determination, he placed in numerous events at high school sectional championships. He decided to continue his swimming career at Mount Saint Mary College where he narrowly missed qualifying for the Division 3 NCAA championships.
After college, he returned to his high school to assist in coaching after the tragic loss of their swim coach. He continued his coaching journey for a local club team rising to the level of head coach. Within 3 years the team grew to over 200 swimmers with many qualifying for silvers, J.O’s, and even zones championships.
After moving to California, Sean began working with a team training swimmers for Olympic trials. After a brief hiatus to focus on caring for his daughter, Sean’s passion has been reignited by joining the Freedom Aquatics coaching staff.